Top Causes Of Fires In The Home
Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:47:17 AM America/New_York
Fires in the home are some of the most devastating and yet are one of the most easily avoided types that we can all learn about. Knowing where and in what situations fires are likely to happen in the home can help keep you and your neighborhood safe.
Common Causes of Fire in Homes
Some of the most common causes of fires in the home include:
- Cooking Fires: Cooking fires are very dangerous because they often involve grease which can easily spread. If a grease fire starts DO NOT pour water on it. Instead turn off the heat immediately then throw some baking soda on it or smother it with a pot cover. DO NOT try to pat it out with a dish towel or anything that is itself flammable.
- Smoking: If you smoke at home, then yes; this can happen to you. Preferably you should smoke only outside but if weather is not permitting or you have another reason to smoke inside, be sure to use a proper cigarette container for ashes and do not leave a lit cigarette unattended.
- Candles: Candles can create a romantic ambiance; they can also create a fire. NEVER leave a candle unattended whether you are leaving the house for a minute or for a late night. Extinguish all candles before leaving the house and keep them away from other flammable materials.
- Flammable Liquids: Fuel, cleaning agents, thinners, paints and other raw materials which are flammable requires special attention when kept at home. They can catch fire if they are stored improperly or near direct flame. Unfortunately mostly people do not pay attention to this fact and store them anywhere they wish to; which could result in explosions, fires, and severe damage.
- Fireworks: In many parts of the country fireworks are illegal at home. But if your area allows them you need to be extra careful in using them. NEVER use them in the home or near dry brush areas outside.
How To Avoid Fires In The Home
Caution and attention should be all you need to ensure that a fire is avoided in your home. Too often simple carelessness leads from a fun to harmful situation and by simply taking a few easy precautions like those below will help you and your family stay safe.
In the Kitchen:
- Never leave a burner unattended.
- Try cooking at recommended and safe temperatures.
- Don’t wear lose clothing while cooking, they can catch fire easily. Also avoid wearing fabrics which are easily inflamed.
- Keep matches and lighters in a cabinet. Don’t keep it open and in reach of children.
- Keep flammable items away from the stove.
- Ensure that your electrical cooking appliances are safe.
- Smokers should try using “fire safe cigarettes”.
- Smoking outdoors is sensible and quite reasonable.
- Always use an ashtray (should be large and deep).
- Never leave your room or house with any burning candles.
- Always keep them on hard surfaces or a material that is immune to fire.
- Keep them away from plastic or flammable items.
- Using candle holders is the best way to avoid fire.