It’s the most wonderful time of the year!
The Holidays are almost here, and while it’s a time for fun and celebration, ABCO Fire & Safetywants to make sure everyone stays safe!
Christmas trees and candles, lights and decorations, cooking and parties, could possibly lead to fire hazards in your home if you’re not prepared.
Here’s the facts:
- Candle fires are four times as likely to occur during the winter holidays.
During the winter holiday season, an average of 40 home fires per day are caused by children playing.
The number of home fires the American Red Cross has responded to has risen 10% since 2000.
Nearly 47,000 fires occur during the winter holidays claiming more than 500 lives,causing more than 2,200 injuries, and costing $554 million in property damage.
Having a working smoke alarm reduces one’s chances of injury in a fire by nearly half.
How to prepare:
- Place Christmas trees, candles, and other holiday decorations at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators, heat vents and candles.
- If you purchase a real tree, make sure that it has fresh, green needles that aren’t easily broken.
Keep live trees as moist as possible by giving them plenty of water.
Make sure that light strings and other holiday decorations are in good condition. Do not useanything with frayed electrical cords and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Always unplug tree and holiday lights before leaving home or going to bed. Always extinguish candles.
Designate one person to walk around your home to make sure that all candles and smokingmaterials are properly extinguished after guests leave.
Keep anything that can catch on fire—pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic
bags, food packaging, and towels or curtains—away from your stove top.
- Smoke alarms save lives. Install a smoke alarm near your kitchen, on each level of your home,
near sleeping areas, and inside and outside bedrooms if you sleep with doors closed. Use thetest button to check it each month. Replace all batteries at least once a year.
Remember to keep a fire exinguisher in your home, and make sure it’s working properly.
- You can always call ABCO to repair, and refill your extinguishers. And if you don’t have one, don’t hesitate to ask. Call or come to our office!
So be merry, and enjoy time with loved ones and friends! Just make sure to stay prepared, and help inform others around you as well!
ABCO Fire & Safety wishes everyone a happy and safe holiday season!